The “root canal” is the innermost part of the tooth with the pulp tissues, nerves, and other essential elements. If the root canal is infected or damaged, you must undergo root canal therapy to remove the damaged parts of the tooth structure and the infection. Sunny Dental is led by a dentist that specializes in root canals, Dr. George, and we provide incredibly advanced microscope-guided root canals. Our advanced root canal techniques allow us to wipe off all traces of bacteria to ensure optimal results.
Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic therapy or a “root canal,” is a dental procedure that treats an infected tooth. This procedure involves removing any decay or damage to the tooth, as well as any tissue within the tooth that has been infected. The tooth’s inner chamber (pulp chamber) is thoroughly cleaned, and some filling material is put into the chamber before preparing the tooth for a crown. Finally, a dental crown is used to protect the weakened tooth.
- Excessive pain while chewing
- Dental abscesses
- Pus-like formations around a tooth
- Large cavities, fractures, or visible decays
- Hot and cold sensitivity
- Discoloration of the affected tooth
Damage to the nerves supplying blood to your teeth tends to occur when bacteria or physical trauma affect the pulp tissues that surround and support your teeth. In some cases, especially at the early stages of dental decay, people don’t experience any symptoms from their damaged teeth. That’s why people often let their cavities worsen until a root canal becomes necessary. In the case of endodontic damage, you may experience excessive pain, sensitivity, and other problems.
Root canal therapy is the most effective way to salvage the damaged tooth or teeth. This procedure treats the nerve, thereby preventing any infection from forming in the pulp or abscesses. Failure to treat teeth with infections or endodontic damage can result in the loss of teeth in their entirety or even worsen the spread of the infection to other soft tissues and other teeth. As such, if you identify the signs and symptoms of cavities, fractures, or other dental problems, you must consult a root canal dentist.
Sunny Dental provides root canal treatments using cutting-edge microscope technology. This is a new and innovative root canal technique that ensures optimal success. The dental microscope allows the dentist to reach tiny canal entry points and branches that are usually invisible to the naked eye and magnifying glasses. This allows the root canal specialist to wipe off all traces of bacterial infection from the root canal. Without a microscope, there would be a small chance that the remaining traces of bacteria would continue spreading after the root canal, thereby leading to a root canal failure.
- Preparation: The root canal dentist numbs the area and places a dental dam in the mouth to isolate the affected tooth.
- Cleaning: The root canal specialist uses special dental instruments to drill into the root canal and clean out the insides. The pulp tissues and nerves are removed, and the root canal is disinfected.
- Shaping: The root canal specialist uses small instruments to file and shape the root canal. This prepares the canal to receive the dental sealants.
- Sealing: The dentist seals the root canal with a rubbery material called gutta-percha. This is done to prevent bacteria from entering the canal.
- Antibiotics: The dentist may ask you to recover at home with antibiotics. This is done to ensure the bacteria are killed before providing a dental crown.
- Crown: Finally, a dental crown will be attached to the weakened tooth.
- Don’t drink hot beverages for a few hours.
- Don’t chew on anything hard for a few hours.
- Take the necessary pain medications.
- Chew from the side of the mouth without the affected tooth.
- Take the prescribed antibiotics.
The root canal therapy usually concludes within 60 minutes. But some complex cases may last for 90 minutes.
After a root canal, the weakened tooth is vulnerable and may only last around 10 years. However, you can protect and strengthen the tooth with a dental crown. This will allow the tooth to last a lifetime.
Root canal treatment is necessary to stop dental infections at their track and prevent the bacteria from infecting the surrounding tissues.
Root canals are performed by endodontists, i.e., dentists that specialize in root canals. However, root canals can also be performed by general dentists.
Yes, root canals are extremely common. According to the American Association of Endodontists (AAE), over 41,000 root canals are performed every day in the United States.
Contact a Root Canal Specialist Today
Sunny Dental is a state-of-the-art dental clinic led by a team of dental specialists, including a root canal specialist. We leverage cutting-edge technologies and stay abreast of the latest developments in dental treatments to ensure optimal results. When it comes to root canal therapy, we use the microscope-guided root canal technique to remove all the bacteria and ensure optimal results. For more information, please schedule an appointment or call (305) 944-7706 — our dental clinic is located at 17100 Collins Ave Ste. 213, Sunny Isles Beach, FL.