What is Emergency Wisdom Tooth Removal?
Wisdom tooth removal is one of the most common dental surgery procedures. That’s because most people need emergency wisdom tooth removal near me in Sunny Isles Beach, FL, at some point. The wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are located at the back of the mouth, and they usually erupt in your late teens or early twenties, long after all other teeth have erupted. When your wisdom teeth erupt, your mouth may not have enough space for new teeth, leading to impacted wisdom teeth that grow awkwardly. Sometimes, wisdom teeth don’t erupt and remain under the gum tissues. Emergency wisdom teeth removal near me in Sunny Isles Beach, FL, might be necessary.
What is an impacted tooth?
An impacted tooth is a tooth that doesn’t grow properly. Impacted teeth usually remain partially or completely under the gum tissues or grow at awkward angles that damage the surrounding teeth. Impacted teeth are common amongst wisdom teeth because they grow after all other teeth erupt. An impacted wisdom tooth can push against other healthy teeth, leading to misalignment problems and dental damage. An impacted wisdom tooth can also lead to considerable pain, discomfort, and infections. You need an immediate tooth extraction if you have an impacted wisdom tooth.
Impacted wisdom teeth symptoms include:
- Red, swollen, tender, or bleeding gums
- Pain and swelling in the jaws
- Persistent bad breath (halitosis)
- Bad or foul taste in the mouth
- Lockjaw symptoms
What is the wisdom teeth removal recovery time?
After the wisdom teeth removal, a person may need up to two weeks to recover completely. However, you don’t need two weeks of downtime from work and social activities during this period. The wisdom tooth extraction healing process progresses in various stages:
- Blood clots will form at the extraction site within the first 24 hours.
- The swelling in your cheeks and mouth will gradually recede within 3 days.
- Your dentist may remove the stitches from the extraction site after 7 days.
- The jaw stiffness and soreness will gradually dissipate within 10 days.
- You will recover completely within 2 weeks.
Your wisdom teeth removal aftercare:
- Take over-the-counter pain medications to prevent discomfort after Emergency wisdom tooth removal.
- Bite down on the antiseptic gauze in the extraction site for 60 minutes to facilitate healing.
- Hold an ice pack on your face at the extraction site for 15-minute intervals to reduce swelling.
- Consume soft and cold food items for the first day or two after Emergency wisdom tooth removal.
- You may experience symptoms of nausea because of some of the pain medications.
- Contact your dentist if the symptoms continue for extended periods.
- Don’t rinse your mouth for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t drink hot beverages for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t eat foods that require chewing for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t suck on straws for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol for a few days.
- Rinse your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash after 24 hours.
- Resume work and low-level activities after 2 to 3 days.
How to reduce swelling after tooth extraction?
Suppose You may experience some post-treatment swelling and bruising after wisdom tooth extraction. You can reduce swelling with cold compresses, ice packs, and ice chips. You can also take anti-inflammatory medications, such as naproxen or ibuprofen. After 24 hours, you can also start rinsing your mouth with salt water or an antibacterial wash to reduce swelling and inflammation.
How many days does it take for a tooth extraction to heal?
Your oral surgeon will only ask you to take a day or two off work after your tooth extraction. That’s when most of the healing takes place. However, some of the post-treatment swelling and bruising may linger for up to two weeks after wisdom tooth extraction. You can speed up the recovery process by following the dentist’s instructions and recovery guidelines accurately.
Why can a tooth not be saved?
Your dentist’s primary goal will always be to save your tooth from complete decay and damage. Most dentists try saving your teeth because nothing beats the quality of natural teeth. But in some cases, your tooth has to be sacrificed for the greater good of your oral health. If you have a severe fracture, infection, or inflammation, your tooth might have to be removed completely. If your tooth is severely infected, then trying to save the tooth can give an opportunity for the infection to spread to your gum tissues and other teeth. In that situation, it’s best to remove the tooth completely.
When is it necessary to surgically remove a tooth?
- Your tooth is severely fractured and damaged beyond repair
- Your tooth is extremely fragile and cracked
- Your tooth has extra-long roots that can’t be removed with simple extractions.
- Your tooth is impacted or partially erupted
- Your tooth is irreversibly infected
What’s the cost of surgical tooth extraction?
Surgical tooth extraction costs depend on numerous factors, such as the tooth’s location, the type of anesthesia used, whether you need sedation, and other factors. Your dentist will provide a quote for the cost of surgical tooth extraction after an assessment.
Schedule your same-day wisdom teeth removal near me in Sunny Isles Beach, FL.
Sunny Isles Dental is one of the most reliable dental clinics for Emergency wisdom tooth removal and surgical extraction. Our dental clinic is led by highly-skilled and board-certified dentists specializing in cutting-edge techniques to remove severely damaged and impacted wisdom teeth. Our state-of-the-art dental clinics in Sunny Isles Beach or Wilton Manors, Florida, can be found. If you have the signs and symptoms of an impacted tooth, please schedule an appointment today.